Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Gajaracha halwa

Today's recipe is gajracha halwa!! As soon as you say the word you almost can visualize hindi movie mom's or heroines,telling the hero that they have made their favourite dessert!! But for me the memory which floods to my mind with gajar ka halwa is a very touchy one...
it was when i was in my last term of MBBS my marriage had been fixed !!! I had my results after my engagement but before the marriage my mother in law had come to congratulate me for passing with flying colours with home made Gajaracha halwa & gulabjamun's!!!
Both me & my parents were so touched by the gesture.....Even today whenever i make gajar ka halwa i feel very senti....& unknowingly it brings a tear or two it's sure we have a long distance chat that day!!!!
Now enough of my touchy story here's the recipe for gajar halwa from my mother in law, Hope you enjoy it the way we both have enjoyed.



Ingredients

1 kg carrots grated

1 cup cream or 1 bowl of khoya

1 1/2 cup sugar

1/4 tsp cardamom powder

3 tsp raisins

15- 20 cashews

4 tsp ghee

Procedure

  1. Heat ghee in a nonstick frying pan.
  2. Add Grated carrots to the pan. Cover it with a lid & keep stirring in between till the carrots are cooked.
  3. Now add cream, and heat for about an hour, stirring, and lowering the heat after the mixture starts boiling.
  4. Cook until dry.
  5. Add sugar & keep stirring & continue to cook until dry.
  6. Add cashews and raisins and cardamoms; let it cool & halwa’s ready to eat

(If adding khava/ khoya once the carrots are cooked add the khoya/khava stir & mix properly cook for 1- 2 minutes add sugar & continue as above)

No comments: